Make your own colorful coasters from images of vintage postage stamps.
Wooden or bamboo coasters (I got mine at Target for $4)
Four images printed in high quality to fit the coasters
Large paintbrush (bigger than in the picture)
Mod Podge, matte or glossy
Acrylic sealer, matte or glossy (not in the picture)
Paper cutter or scissors
1. Print your images. These four vintage stamp images plus a couple more are available to download and print at the bottom of this page. They will print 4" x 4", since that seems to be the typical coaster size.
2. Cut your images to size. Mine were 4" x 4". I rounded the corners slightly to match the bamboo coasters I bought.
3. Using a large paintbrush, spread your coasters with a thin, even layer of Mod Podge.
4. Lay your image on top of the Mod Podge and gently press down, starting in the center and working out. Make sure the edges are lined up well. Then, wipe away any Mod Podge that leaked out.
5. Let your image dry for 20-30 minutes.
6. Spread a thin, even layer of Mod Podge over your images.
7. Let it dry 20-30 minutes until it is dry and clear.
8. Add a two more coats, allowing them to dry in between applications.
9. Take your coasters outside where you have good ventilation. Spray them with your acrylic sealer according to the bottle's directions. I sprayed two coats of glossy.
(If you're outside, pay attention to the wind; you don't want this toxic stuff to spray all over you accidentally. Also, make sure you're not somewhere with lots of dirt or dust that may blow onto your coasters while the sealer is drying.)
10. Let your coasters dry and then bring them inside.
Pour yourself a drink.
Printable vintage stamp images:
You may need to resize these, depending on your coaster size.