Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mercury Wing Stitched Hat: 30 Days of Creativity: Day 25


Mercury Wing Stitched Hat


Here's how the hat began.  A fine hat.  Bought at a store with purposeful yet not useful patches and other silly elements.
I was not as happy as I thought I would be with this hat.


Then, on Saturday, I went to the garden.  Between rows of asparagus and potatoes, I looked down.  There in the dirt lay a full bird's wing.  The rest of the bird was gone, but the full wing lay before me.  It was so beautiful I couldn't take my eyes off it.  I felt such a connection to this wing.
The more I examined it, the more I felt drawn to it.
And I realized that was just what I needed.
I needed a connection to the birds, some strength from Mercury.

I decided to stitch a wing onto my hat to bring me speed and the freedom of wind.
You know I need it in my running endeavors.


First, I took off a band around the front and some little patches, including a plaid patch.  Plaid, is not for me, unless we're talking about my flannel pajamas, age 10.


I began my stitching by outlining the wing.  I used my free-motion stitch foot to go all directions and follow the  marked outlines I had drawn.


Then, I stitched in the feathers on the far side of the wing.  Again, I used my free motion foot.


I outlined all the feathers on three sections of the wing.


Then, I set my machine to a zig-zag stitch and using my regular food began zig-zagging to create some heavier shadows on the wing.



Here is my finished wing.  I am bound to run faster now that I have Mercury on my side!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...