Sunday, June 12, 2011

Vellum Airplanes: 30 Days of Creativity: Day 11

30 Days of Creativity: Day 11
Printed Vellum Airplanes


When I lived in NY, I spent many days enjoying The Gates project in Central Park.  I used some cropped photographs I had taken of The Gates and printed them on Vellum paper.  The photo on Vellum paper gives a luscious translucence that I like.


Plus, the Vellum paper is a good stiffness for flying planes.


When The Gates were up in Central Park, I loved the feeling the bright, sun-filled orange gave against the blue of the sky.  Such joy!

I think it would be fun to string a lot of these airplanes together to hang in my boys room.  Perhaps their new room will be decorated in airplanes.  


To string my airplanes, I used a simple needle and thread, woven along the base of the airplane.


I made sure it wove in and out along the base, from tail to tip.  Then I left some thread and started the next airplane.


Inspiration #1 for this project: The Gates in NYC.


Inspiration #2: walking under all the "paper airplanes" at the Denver Airport.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...